Serves 2-3 or make two batches and freeze one to have ready for some cold afternoon or lunch time. Put in a flask for the kids lunch, for the cold winter days.
- 1 tsp coconut oil
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1 garlic clove, finely chopped
- 1-2 celery sticks, chopped
- 1 tbsp grated fresh root ginger
- 1 butternut squash, peeled, deseeded and chopped into cubes
- 1-2 sweet potatoes, peeled and chopped into cubes
- 3-4 tbsp red lentils
- 750ml (1¼ pints) homemade vegetable stock
- ¼ tsp turmeric
- Heat the coconut oil in a pan and sauté the onions and garlic for a few minutes until softened.
- Add the ginger and continue sautéing for a further 1 minute. Add the chopped vegetables. Cover the saucepan and allow everything to sweat in the pan for 5 minutes.
- Add the stock, turmeric and lentils, cover and bring to the boil. Lower the heat and simmer for 20 minutes, until the vegetables are cooked through.
- Blend the soup to a smooth consistency.